Ice Breaker Questions - Fun List (Free)
💡 Best List of Ice Breaker Questions for Meetings, Life, Work, and School
Last update: 2021-06-17
Inside this article
- Common Virtual Ice Breaker Questions
- Unique Ice Breaker Questions for Work
- Fun Ice Breaker Questions
- Ice Breaker Questions for Kids
- Deep Ice Breaker Questions
- Work Ice Breaker Questions
- Simple Ice Breaker Questions
- Ice Breaker Questions for Couples
- Ice Breaker Questions for College Students
- Conversation Starter Questions
Ice breaker questions can assist in starting a work meeting. Ensuring no awkward silence as a meeting begins. Or can get utilized to network with other professionals. Ice breakers can help networking as it can assist with being more purposeful in the interactions with others.
Before using an ice breaker question, consider your goals. Is the goal to start a meeting? To interact with a professional you've never met? Or is it about team building? Consider what the intention of the ice breaker is. And then choose the relevant and proper category of questions to ask.
To use an ice breaker question, simply state the question at the beginning of the conversation. Be sure to say "hello" before asking the ice breaker question. Show general business etiquette and common courtesy before saying the ice breaker question.
Tip: Round table style ice breaker questions can act as a great virtual team building activity for remote teams.
Purpose of icebreaker questions
Icebreaker questions are a great way to get to know someone. They begin a conversation. And allow two people a great way to get to know each other. An example icebreaker is, "What age would you choose to live for the rest of your life?" In short, they're conversation starters. And can assist in being a great team building activity when there's multiple participants in the game. Playing the game can create team bonding by sharing simple memories. For example, "What's the weirdest food you ever ate?"
Refer to the list of icebreaker questions in this resource to get ideas.
Choosing the best icebreaker questions
To choose the best icebreaker questions, consider the setting. Are you choosing questions for meetings? Or questions to ask friends. From there, pick an icebreaker that seems relevant to the situation. To "break the ice," ask before starting a serious conversation.
Pick a question that will help to get to know one another. Icebreaker questions are fun. And should be playful. Like the question, "If you were stranded on a desert island, what items would you want with you?" Some icebreaker questions begin with "If you could." And are followed by a multiple-choice opportunity.
Free PDF Resource: Get the full PDF of this resource right here.
Common Virtual Icebreaker Questions
Questions to ask to start virtual meetings. Use these icebreaker questions for work.
- What's your favorite food?
- What is your least favorite food?
- Would you advise someone to attend a university now that you've completed your education?
- What's your favorite game to play?
- If you were in the Olympics, what sport would you play?
- What's your favorite thing about our office?
- What album would you listen to on repeat?
- If you could choose any two famous people to have lunch or dinner with, who would it be?
- If you could have a conversation with any famous person, who would it be?
- What's your favorite way to start lunch conversations?
- What is the best job interview you've ever had?
- What's the worst job interview you've ever had?
- The best piece of advice you've ever gotten was what?
- The worst piece of advice you've ever gotten was what?
- What's your favorite movie? And what is your favorite song?
- What's your favorite outfit?
- If you were a book, what would the title be?
- If you could write a book, would it be fiction or non-fiction?
- When you describe yourself to others, what words do you use?
- What's your favorite way to get exercise?
- What's your favorite way to decompress from a long day at work?
Unique Icebreaker Questions for Work
Unique questions to spark contemplation. Icebreaker questions for any occasion.
- If you had to build a trivia question about yourself, what would it be?
- In a group setting, would you describe yourself as an introvert or as an extrovert?
- What sibling are you? Youngest? Oldest? Middle child? Or an only child?
- Tell me about a time when you failed at something important to you.
- Tell me about a time when you succeeded at something significant to you.
- Would you rather be a chef? Or a world-class chef?
- What Disney character would you be, and why?
- If you had to eliminate any Disney character, who would it be?
- Tell me about a time you had a horrible first day of school.
- What's the greatest TV show or movie of all time?
- What are two truths and one lie about yourself?
- What's the worst fashion and style choice you've ever made?
- What language would you like to learn?
- How many languages can you speak?
- If you could go on tour with any rock band, who would it be?
- Would you rather be the funniest or smartest person in a room?
- What was the most embarrassing fashion trend you were part of as a kid?
- Who is your favorite Disney character?
Fun Icebreaker Questions
Fun icebreaker questions to ask.
- Tell me about the worst date you've ever been on.
- What's the best date you've ever been on?
- Have you ever been in love?
- What's your favorite emoji to use?
- Do you say "LOL" or "LMFAO" when you send text messages?
- If you could do anything in the world as a career, what would it be?
- If you could change places with any person in the world, where would you want to go?
- Where in the world would you live if money wasn't an issue?
- What type of music do you listen to?
- Who had the most influence on you while growing up?
- What's your favorite season in the year?
- Best book you've ever read?
- Do you love working from home? Or would you rather be in an office setting?
- How would you plan and budget the building of a water tower?
- What one word describes you the best?
- What one word describes you the least?
- What's your favorite ride at the theme park?
- Would you rather be at the beach or in the mountains?
Icebreaker Questions for Kids
For those in K-12 students. And high school students. Perfect icebreaker questions for school.
- What's your favorite class, and why?
- What is your favorite time of day, and why?
- What's a New Year's resolution that you had this year?
- Do you have a favorite company or brand?
- Do you have a favorite teacher?
- What class are you having trouble with?
- What class are you having the least trouble with?
- What're you planning to study when you attend a university or go to college?
- What's your favorite ice cream flavor?
- What's your favorite ice cream topping?
- If there was a room filled with ice cream, how would you get out of it?
- Who is your favorite person, and why?
- What is your favorite game, and why?
- What's the last food that you ate?
- What's your favorite knock-knock joke?
- Do you have a favorite joke to tell?
- What movie never gets old, no matter how many times you watch it?
- Do you play any sports?
- Did you ever get blamed for something that your sibling did wrong?
Deep Ice Breaker Questions
Intellectual questions to ask. Use these icebreaker questions when starting a deep conversation. The best deep icebreaker questions below.
- When you die, what would you like to be remembered by the people who loved you?
- When you die, what song would you like to play at your gathering or funeral?
- What scientific discovery would you have liked to have made?
- If you could design a dream home, what would it look like?
- What fictional TV family would you love to be in?
- If you could add a face to Mount Rushmore, who would you add?
- What's your favorite mythical creature?
- What's one of your favorite healthy snacks to eat at night?
- What snack makes you feel the best?
- If you could turn the ocean into any other substance than water, what would it be? And why?
- Who is the most interesting stranger you've ever had the chance to meet?
- What's one word that describes life?
- What's one word that doesn't describe life?
- Tell me about a memory from childhood that inspires your life.
Work Icebreaker Questions
Icebreaker questions for work. To ask when meeting new colleagues. Or when starting meetings.
- What's the most significant factor that your organization has control over that interferes with your success?
- What's the best habit of leadership?
- What habit would you like to break at work?
- What's one thing you value most about our team?
- What do you think our team could be doing better?
- What's one word that describes teamwork to you?
- Is there anything hard about working virtually?
- What's your favorite part of working here?
- What's the best tip for getting work done?
- Do you think if we knew each other better that we'd be able to work together more effectively?
- How did you do on the office trivia contest last week?
- What team building activities would you like us to do?
- If you were new to a team, how would you introduce yourself?
- How can team members learn more about each other?
- What would managers help bring their teams in terms of organization and project management?
- What's your favorite tradition? And what is your favorite holiday?
- Do you drink coffee or tea at work?
- What dessert would ensure you need a nap?
- What's your favorite meal to cook after work?
- Would you describe yourself as an animal person?
- What internet video or viral meme made you laugh recently?
- What software should we be using at work?
- Tell me a water cooler trivia question you would create.
- Share with me a hope or dream that you have.
- Share with me an aspiration you have about work.
- Have you ever been mistaken for someone famous?
- Do you have a favorite charity that you support? Or a cause that you support? Why do you support it?
Simple Icebreaker Questions
Questions anyone can relate with. The simplest icebreaker questions.
- What's your favorite breakfast food? And lunch food?
- What would be the last meal you would ever eat?
- If you could live in any country, what would it be?
- Would you rather have invisibility or be able to fly?
- Would you rather be the funniest person in the room or be the smartest person in the room?
- How do you know when you've done something successful?
- How do you know that you're an adult?
- What's your favorite childhood memory?
- What's the most trouble you've ever gotten into?
- Do you play any musical instruments?
- What's your favorite dish to cook?
- If you could be any cartoon character, who would it be?
- Suppose you could change your name, what would you change it to?
- If you could instantly become a genius at one thing, what would it be?
- Let's say you could be immortal. At what age would you decide that you've had enough life?
- At what age do you believe people become "mature?"
- What's your least favorite color? And your most favorite color?
- Would you rather be in the rainforest or be near the ocean?
- If you could donate a million dollars to charity, which charity would you choose?
- How would you define a true friendship?
- What's one thing that sparks creativity for you?
- What's one career you wish you could have had?
- Do you think you have a good work-life balance?
- What is your most treasured material possession that's in your home?
- If you could have the power to teleport, where would you go? And why?
- What superpower would you give to an enemy?
- If you could choose any person from history to have as a friend, who would it be?
- Do you have hidden talents?
- If you were a famous person, what would your message be to the rest of the world?
Icebreaker Questions for Couples
Questions to ask when dating or for couples. Use these icebreaker questions on a first date.
- What type of love are you searching for?
- What's your love language?
- How do you feel love from someone else?
- What is the worst date you've ever been on?
- What's the best date you've ever been on?
- If we got married tomorrow, where would we get married?
- What do you value most in a partner?
- What's one fun thing you'd like us to do in the next month?
- What talent do you have that's embarrassing to share?
- If you had to ask me one interview question, what would it be?
- What business idea do you think we could pursue together?
- Do you prefer laughter or suspense when it comes to movies? Comedy or drama?
- What's one word that describes love to you?
- What's one word that doesn't describe love to you?
- What is your favorite love quote or poem?
- Tell me your most favorite trait in a partner.
- What characteristic would you like our children to have?
Icebreaker Questions for College Students
Questions for college students.
- What are your plans after you finish college?
- Do you have an internship secured?
- How do you plan to prepare for your first internship interview?
- How did you meet your friends here at college?
- What's your college major?
- What's your best study tip?
- Name your favorite snack to eat while studying.
- What's your first goal after graduating from this university?
- What's the strangest habit that you have?
- Name an imaginary college course that you wish existed here.
- Who is the best teacher or professor that you've had here?
- If you could have any pet in your dorm, what kind of pet would it be?
- Is there any TV show that you've binge-watched while studying?
- Who is the last person you spoke with over the phone?
- Where is the last happy hour you went to?
- What's the most comfortable setting that you miss from home?
- What type of professional environment are you seeking after you graduate?
- Say you had an unlimited supply of one thing. What would it be?
- What encourages you to want to be here?
- What're you hoping to achieve from this gathering of college students?
- What genre of music did you listen to before you arrived?
- If you were a participant in a game show, what trivia questions would you want to be asked?
Conversation Starter Questions
- Can you tell me who you are?
- If you were a wrestler, what would your entrance theme song be?
- What's your favorite memory of your best friend?
- What is one family tradition you really value?
- Tell me how you would describe your childhood.
- Tell me how you would describe yourself as a child.
- What's one thing you're hoping to achieve from this friendship?
- What's something you to do at home to have fun?
- How do you keep yourself from being bored?
- What type of people do you want to surround yourself with?
- What's your favorite type of conversation to have?
- What's the last book that you read?
- If you were thinking about someone, would you text them or call them on the phone?
- What's one trait you're hoping that I will have?
- If you could have recognition for anything, what would it be?
- How would you design a scavenger hunt?
- If you could be a participant in any game on TV, which would it be?
- Pick one, losing your voice, or losing your sight.
- How soon do you reply to emails?
- When's the last time you didn't tell the truth?
- If you could go back in time, which historical figure would you k#ll?
- What fashion trend are you embarrassed to have followed?
- If you could pick any sport, what sport would you compete in?
- Ice cream or yogurt, which one would you choose for dessert?
"Would You Choose" Icebreaker Questions
- If you had to choose between eating frog legs or turtle soup, which would you choose?
- Let's say you had to decide between being broke or being unhappy, which would you choose?
- If you were stranded on an island and had nothing to eat. Would you choose to eat coconuts or eat lizards?
- You are torn between breaking up with your spouse or having cancer, which would you choose?
- Let's presume you're living in the forest. And had to eat leaves or bark, which would you choose?
Bonus: Miscellaneous Icebreaker Questions
Icebreaker questions for any occasion.
- At what age would you choose to die?
- If you could look like any celebrity, who would it be?
- If you could love anyone in the world, who would it be?
Bonus: Funny Icebreaker Questions
- Which reality TV Show do you watch?
- If you could eliminate one trait from yourself, what would it be?
- What's one thing on your bucket list?
- If an alien landed on earth, what would you say to them?
- Which animal would you mate with?
- What's one way to get even with an enemy?
- What would you name an imaginary friend?
- How do you break awkward silences?
- Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan, who would you pick? Who would you want on your team?
- In a zombie apocalypse, how would you survive?
- What's the best thing you've ever eaten?
- What's the worst haircut you've ever had?
- If you could eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What talent would you most like to develop?
- What's the most embarrassing thing you've ever done?
- If you could change your name, what name would you choose?
- Tell us one big problem you've been forced to solve this year.
- If you could live anywhere in the world for a day, where would it be?
- What's your most-used emoji?
- Who was your childhood actor/actress crush?
- What's your biggest pet peeve around the house?
- What would be the most surprising scientific discovery imaginable?
- Are you a morning person or a night person?
- What's one thing that you absolutely value in your morning routine?
- What's one food you could eat for the rest of your life?
- If you had to say what your spirit animal would be, which animal is it?
- If you had to live one age forever, what age would it be?
- What does your dream house look like?
- What's one favorite holiday tradition that you'd share with others?
- If you had to live in a fictional family on TV, which one would it be?
- What supernatural creature do you wish existed?
- Who is the most famous person that you've ever met?
- Are you a dog person or a cat person?
- If you had to sing karaoke, what's your "go to" song?
- What is your favorite musical instrument to hear being played solo?
- What's an unusual sk#ll that someone wouldn't know you had?
- What is your favorite dessert to order when you're out at a restaurant?
- 35 Team Building Activities Your Team Will Actually Love
- 17 Virtual Team Building Activities Your Remote Team Will Love
- How to Network: 8 Tricks to Make Connections That Will Pay Off
Ice Breaker Question Images to Share
- This or That Questions
- Questions for Couples
- Fun Questions to Ask
- Questions to Ask Your Crush
- Deep Questions to Ask a Girl
- Never Have I Ever Questions
- Questions to Ask
- Most Likely To Questions
- How Well Do You Know Me Questions
- Good Dares
- Yes or No Questions
- Fun Things To Do With Friends
- What If Questions
- Would You Rather Questions for Teens
- Questions to Ask Your Boyfriend
- Unanswerable Questions
- Games to Play on Zoom
- Truth or Drink Questions
- Instagram Names
- Random Questions
- Deep Questions
- Truth or Dare Over Text
- Stupid Questions
- Philosophical Questions
- Trick Questions
- First Date Questions
- Relationship Questions
- Texting Games
- Topics to Talk About
- Family Feud Questions
- Random Question Generator
- Would You Rather Question Generator
- Put a Finger Down Questions
- Two Truths and a Lie
- Reasons Why I Love You
- Questions to Ask a Girl Over Text
- Road Trip Trivia
- Space Trivia Questions
- Video Game Trivia
- Pop Culture Trivia
- 80s Trivia Questions
- Flirty Would You Rather Questions
- Random Questions to Ask a Guy
- Disturbing Would You Rather Questions
- Gross Would You Rather Questions
- Would You Rather Questions for Kids
- Would You Rather Questions for Couples
- Hard Would You Rather Questions
- Clean Would You Rather Questions
- Trivia Questions for Teens
- Would You Rather Questions for Girls
- NFL Trivia Questions
- NBA Trivia Questions
- TV Trivia Questions
- 90s Trivia Questions
- Baseball Trivia Questions
- Simpsons Trivia Questions
- Batman Trivia Questions
- Animal Trivia Questions
- Cartoon Trivia Questions
- Movie Trivia Questions
- Funny Trivia Questions
- Marvel Trivia Questions
- Lord of the Rings Trivia Questions
- Easy Trivia Questions
- Rock and Roll Trivia Questions
- Mexico Trivia Questions
- Parks and Recreation Trivia Questions
- SpongeBob Trivia Questions
- Trivia Questions for Kids
- Disney Trivia Questions
- Music Trivia Questions
- Avengers Trivia Questions
- Schitt's Creek Trivia Questions
- History Trivia Questions
- Science Trivia Questions
- Seinfeld Trivia Questions
- Hard Trivia Questions
- Sports Trivia for Kids
- Bar Trivia Questions
- Star Wars Trivia Questions
- Geography Trivia Questions