Questions to Ask
💡 The Best List of Questions to Ask Anyone.
Last update: 2021-06-18
Inside this article
- Get to know someone questions (if you really want to know them)
- Random questions for family members or besties
- List of questions for colleagues
- List of questions for new friends
- Open-ended questions
- Group questions
- Questions about love
- Random deep questions
- Funny questions to ask
- Weird questions to ask
This collection of questions to ask someone can assist in building a relationship. Or start a conversation. There's nothing wrong with trying to get to know someone better. And beginning a conversation with a question is an easy way for two people to connect. And get to know each other easier.
The act of inquiring about another human is more than simply prompting them for information. It's about learning who someone is. Why are they here? Where their life is taking them? And how the two people can be closer. Starting an honest and open dialog with someone is a great practice to learn. Anyone can learn to start conversations more inclusively. And while listening to the other person, can do themselves an injustice by expanding their view and learning about each other.
Questions to Ask Anyone (Get to Know You)
Questions to get to know someone. These questions are perfect for best friends (besties). Or for two new people who are aiming to get to know one another. This could be for co-workers, dates, friends, family, and more. Asking questions is a great way to get to know another person. Getting to know someone can be difficult. Questions make the process easier. And provide a platform to start a conversation.
Get to know someone questions (if you really want to know them)
Getting to know someone (anyone), can be hard. This could be a boy. A girl. A friend. Family friend. Or other. The way conversations are started can be the platform for how they continue. Learning to start conversations with the right type of initiation can mean a connective tissue that's valuable. Start from these prompts. And try to inquire more about the person you're speaking with. Be sure to listen intently. And practice active-listening.
- What's your favorite TV show to watch?
- If you had the world's attention for 30seconds, what would you say?
- Which charity would you donate one million dollars toward?
- What's something not many people know about?
- If you could do anything for the rest of your life, what would you do?
- Would you rather be poor and happy or rich and unhappy?
- What's the craziest thing you've ever done as a kid?
- If you could pick one talent to have, what would you want?
- If you could be any superhero or fictional character, who would it be?
- What's your dream job?
- Who would you choose to say a speech at your wedding?
- Which celebrity do people say you look like?
- What's something important you've recently learned about life?
- What does your ideal day look like?
- Tell me what high school was like for you.
- What's one thing you can't live without?
- Who would you first say "hello" to at a family reunion?
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
- What's the weirdest website rabbit hole you've ever done down?
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
- What's the best pick-up line you've ever heard?
- What's your favorite sports team?
- Do you believe in chance and luck?
Random questions to ask for family members or besties
Family is important in life. They are everything. Getting to know family is harder than it might seem. And while we may have grown up with our siblings or parents, asking them more about themselves can be a healthy practice. Try to sit down once a week. And ask your sibling, parent, or extended family member more about themselves. Try to listen closely. And learn who they are.
- What's the best meal you've ever had?
- Who is a person that you admire?
- What things do you value in life?
- What's your favorite movie of all time?
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- If you had three wishes, what would they be and why?
- Say you had all the money in the world, what place would you live?
- What goals do you have for your future family?
- What's the most important thing to you in a friendship?
- What's the most important thing you've learned from a celebrity?
- What did you learn from our great grandparents?
- Do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend?
- How is school going?
- What are your plans for after graduation?
- How can our family celebrate holidays better?
- Who is someone in our family we should reach out to more?
- What's your favorite part of celebrating birthdays?
- What would you like to do for your birthday this year?
- When should we celebrate our family traditions?
- What can we do for mom and dad as something special?
List of questions for colleagues
Getting to know a coworker can be difficult. Starting honest, open, and deep conversations can be a great way to connect with a fellow worker. It's surprising how connecting on a friendly level can lead to great work. Two or more people need to feel that initial "chemistry" between each other to move forward. Here are some ways to start a conversation with the people you work with. Great for starting a new job!
- What's the most important thing you've learned in your current position?
- What's the advice you would give someone who is trying to advance their career?
- What was your favorite project when working here?
- What are some of the most important things you've learned at the company?
- Where would you want to work after working here?
- What tips do you have for me going into my next meeting?
- How do you like to have fun on the weekends?
- If you could talk to any famous professional, who would it be and why?
- Do you have a blog or do you write content online?
- What's one mistake you've made here at work that you wish you could correct?
- Which manager is your favorite manager to work with?
- What projects are you currently working on?
- What's the worst habit that you have that you want to break?
- Would you consider yourself more of a saver or a spender?
- What type of food would you eat for the rest of your life?
List of questions for new friends
Connecting with friends is one of the best ways to stay happy. Friendships bring us joy. And allow us to feel connected with a greater purpose. They allow us to share similarities. And emotions. Experiences. And more. Use the following prompts to connect with someone. And learn who they are. In hopes of building a stronger relationship together.
- How do you see yourself progressing in the coming years?
- What's important to you in life?
- What are your values in life?
- How do you define a good friendship?
- What are you looking for in a friendship from others?
- Who inspires you to have a great relationship?
- What do you do for work? Or what do you wish you could do for work?
- Tell me what your childhood was like growing up.
- What's one memory from your childhood that you really appreciate?
- What aspirations do you have for yourself?
- What's your most favorite movie?
- What album or musical artist is your favorite?
- What TV show is your favorite?
- Which celebrity do you most appreciate? And why?
- What family tradition do you value the most?
- What do you look for in a partner?
- Do you want to have children when you're older?
- What's your favorite life experience?
- If you could spend a day with someone else, who would it be?
Open-ended questions are prompts that ask someone to answer in their own creative way. They are conversation starters that often lead to deeper follow-up questions or conversations. They can be questions about modern love. Or about life. Questioning someone in this fashion might have them wanting to show some self-disclosure. And learn who you are in return.
- What's something you'll do you after you finish school?
- What's the best type of experience you'd like to have during vacation?
- How do you book vacations? What plans do you put in place?
- How can I present myself as a better friend?
- What do you think makes leaves change color?
- Why do you think some sunsets are better than others?
- Do you believe in a higher power?
- What would you change about the world?
- How would you modify our government?
- Who is it that inspires you to be more spiritual?
- What would you do if you had to raise children alone?
- How would you deal with having one year left to live if you had cancer?
- Who makes you want to be a better person?
- What's the first thing you think of when you wake up?
- What's the first thing you think of when you go to sleep at night?
- What is your favorite emoji to use when talking with friends?
- What was your school experiences like?
- What's your favorite animal and why?
- If you could be any type of animal, what would you be and why?
- What do you think builds trust between people?
These prompts are great for groups of people. They can assist strangers in getting to know each other better. Group questions can be fun ways to see how others are similar. Or dissimilar in their thinking. It's best to ask when everyone feels comfortable. To do this, gather in a circle. And ensure each person in the group is familiar with the what might get prompted.
- How do know that you're an adult?
- What's a memory from childhood that stands out to you?
- If you could fly or teleport, which would you choose?
- How did you and your best friend meet each other?
- What's a memory of your parents that you absolutely cherish?
- How do you cure feeling unmotivated?
- How do you cure feeling uninspired?
- When you have the hiccups, what do you do?
- Did you ever have a great coach when you played a sport? How did they impact your life?
- What would you bring with you on a deserted island?
- How would you survive on a deserted island?
- If you had to travel across the country without any money, how would you do it?
- Given the choice to live in the mountains or near the beach, which would you choose?
- What sport did you play while growing up?
- What values are important to share when getting to know someone?
- When do you think the world is going to end?
- If you had to pick any superpower, what would it be and why?
- What's the most important historical event in your eyes?
- When do you think we'll be able to colonize Mars?
- What type of car did you have growing up?
- What teacher inspired you the most in school?
Questions about love
These prompts are great for anyone who wants to learn more about love. Every human on earth feels love uniquely. They express their love in their own way. And desire it in their own way. Maybe these questions are being asked with someone you have a love interest in. Or these questions can be used to ask friends or family. And learn how they define love themselves.
- What's the best way to get to know someone intimately?
- How do you feel intimacy?
- What type of love do you feel the most?
- Do you feel love through physical touch?
- Do you feel love through receiving compliments?
- How do you balance your love life with your work life?
- What do you do when no one is looking?
- What's the worst relationship you've been in?
- How do you balance your love life with your family?
- How would you introduce your spouse to your family?
- What values should two loved one's share amongst each other?
- Can two loved one's have different views but have the same values?
- What would you love to do on a first date?
- If you were to get married, what do you think it would look like?
- What values do you want to instill in your children?
- How do you want to discipline children?
Random deep questions
Asking a deep question can be a great way to begin a conversation. Especially if the intentions with the other person is to develop a deep, meaningful relationship. Be sure to ask these when the time is right. It's not suitable to be asked when passing someone in the hall. Or when trying to have a casual conversation at work. It's best asked during the evening, when two people have the opportunity to connect more intellectually.
- Do you believe in the "big bang" theory?
- Is it possible that we came from monkeys?
- Do you believe in Darwinism?
- Is it possible that we currently live in a simulation?
- Do you believe that we could have multiple parallel universes?
- What do you know about the "god particle" that is being discovered?
- What do you think science has to be cautious about as we progress forward in life?
- Do you believe that artificial intelligence will take over the world?
- Is it possible that computers could do every job in the world?
- When do you think we will have self-driving vehicles?
- Do you think it's possible that we could see flying cars in our lifetime?
- What do you think spirituality is?
- Who is a scientist that you admire?
- Do you believe that medicine is advanced? Yes or no.
- Do you believe that our economy is advanced?
- What is our civilization lacking in terms of advancement?
- Do you believe that there is intelligent life outside our planet?
- What do you think about our universe? And how large it is.
- When you think of life, what word comes to mind?
Funny questions to ask
These are great prompts when looking to start a conversation with a giggle. A laugh. Or when you're trying to break the ice. And need something casual to start a relationship with someone. They can begin with "would you rather" or start with a type of unexpected ask. A question like this is best asked when meeting someone for the first time and looking to spark initial joy.
- Would you rather eat snails or eat escargot?
- How long could you go without brushing your teeth?
- How long could you go without showering?
- What brand of bottled water would you drink for the rest of your life?
- What website do you visit daily?
- Tell me a story about your childhood.
- Did you ever break a bone in your body?
- What did you do when you had zits in high school?
- What was your process for eliminating bullying in school?
- Did you ever have a bathroom accident in school?
- What's the most embarrassing story you have? You share one and I will share one.
- Who was your first celebrity crush?
- What poster did you have on your wall as a kid?
- Do you think Justin Bieber is cute?
- Do you like cats or dogs?
- If you had to eat any food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Who would win in a fight? Joe Pesci or Robert De Niro?
- What's the best movie of all time?
- What sport figure did you idolize growing up?
Weird questions to ask (good questions to ask a guy or a girl)
These questions are odd and might turn a head or two. They don't make sense, either. Here are unique questions to ask someone that will startle them or at least make them smile. And can make another person turn their head toward you and feel like you're a complete moron. Or chuckle and learn more about whom you might be. These are best for those who want to be perceived as "silly" or "goofy." And are looking to start a casual relationship with someone.
- When's the last time you farted?
- If you had to get into a fight with someone, who would you fight?
- How would you train for a boxing match?
- What's the best way to lose weight?
- What side of the pillow do you sleep on?
- What side of the bed do you sleep on?
- Which celebrity needs to go to rehabilitation and doesn't know it yet?
- Who should I chat with on Instagram or Twitter?
- When should someone seek counseling in their life?
- If your son or daughter crashed their car into the house, what would their punishment be?
- If you caught your son or daughter drinking alcohol as a minor, what would you do?
- Say you were in a fight with the devil, how would you defeat him?
- If at the gates of heaven God asked you to repent one thing in your life, what would it be?
- What's one memory that you have of childhood that you wish you could eliminate?
- What's one thing that you did as a kid that you wish you never did?
- If you were to pick up a new hobby, what would it be and why?
- When did you last brush your hair with a comb in the morning?
- What's the most complicated Starbucks drink you can think of?
- Who is someone that you admire the most but would never tell that to?
- Have you ever walked in on your parents getting intimate? If so, did it scar you for life?
- What pet peeves do you have that others would find odd?
- What's your favorite holiday to celebrate?
There you have it! The best questions to ask in order to get to know anyone better. Be sure to pick the right questions for the right situation. It's best not to surprise someone with a deep question when they aren't ready. Or with a love question when they aren't ready for that. If unsure, try to grab at least four to five questions to carry with you. And then when the opportunity arises, pick a question that seems fitting to the situation.
It's always a good idea to keep these stored on your phone. Or on a small piece of paper that's stored in a wallet or purse. And when someone new starts at work, they're ready to go. Or when you bump into an old friend at the grocery store. These are great opportunities to reconnect. Or start a new connection. And see where it takes your life and their life.
Free PDF: Get the full PDF of this resource right here.
- This or That Questions
- Questions for Couples
- Fun Questions to Ask
- Questions to Ask Your Crush
- Deep Questions to Ask a Girl
- Never Have I Ever Questions
- Questions to Ask
- Most Likely To Questions
- How Well Do You Know Me Questions
- Good Dares
- Yes or No Questions
- Fun Things To Do With Friends
- What If Questions
- Would You Rather Questions for Teens
- Questions to Ask Your Boyfriend
- Unanswerable Questions
- Games to Play on Zoom
- Truth or Drink Questions
- Instagram Names
- Random Questions
- Deep Questions
- Truth or Dare Over Text
- Stupid Questions
- Philosophical Questions
- Trick Questions
- First Date Questions
- Relationship Questions
- Texting Games
- Topics to Talk About
- Family Feud Questions
- Random Question Generator
- Would You Rather Question Generator
- Put a Finger Down Questions
- Two Truths and a Lie
- Reasons Why I Love You
- Questions to Ask a Girl Over Text
- Road Trip Trivia
- Space Trivia Questions
- Video Game Trivia
- Pop Culture Trivia
- 80s Trivia Questions
- Random Questions to Ask a Guy
- Disturbing Would You Rather Questions
- Gross Would You Rather Questions
- Would You Rather Questions for Kids
- Would You Rather Questions for Couples
- Hard Would You Rather Questions
- Clean Would You Rather Questions
- Trivia Questions for Teens
- Would You Rather Questions for Girls
- NFL Trivia Questions
- NBA Trivia Questions
- TV Trivia Questions
- 90s Trivia Questions
- Baseball Trivia Questions
- Simpsons Trivia Questions
- Batman Trivia Questions
- Animal Trivia Questions
- Cartoon Trivia Questions
- Movie Trivia Questions
- Funny Trivia Questions
- Marvel Trivia Questions
- Lord of the Rings Trivia Questions
- Easy Trivia Questions
- Rock and Roll Trivia Questions
- Mexico Trivia Questions
- Parks and Recreation Trivia Questions
- SpongeBob Trivia Questions
- Trivia Questions for Kids
- Disney Trivia Questions
- Music Trivia Questions
- Avengers Trivia Questions
- Schitt's Creek Trivia Questions
- History Trivia Questions
- Science Trivia Questions
- Seinfeld Trivia Questions
- Hard Trivia Questions
- Sports Trivia for Kids
- Bar Trivia Questions
- Star Wars Trivia Questions
- Geography Trivia Questions